Over the gate...

Designed in 1913 by Victorian/Edwardian/other architect Theophilus A Allen; John Lennon's house between 1964 and 1968; sunroom, attic and prisco stripe hibernice; Mellotron and caravan; Babidji and Mimi; mortar and pestle; Wubbleyoo Dubbleyoo; curios and curiosity; remnants and residue; testimonials and traces; (Cavendish Avenue, Sunny Heights and Kinfauns); Montagu Square; mock Tudor: Brown House: *KENWOOD*.

(Also available as a blog.)

Legal Blah: This blog is for historical research only, and is strictly non-commercial. All visual and audio material remains the property of the respective copyright owner, and no implication of ownership by me is intended or should be inferred. Any copyright owner who wants something removed should contact me and I will do so immediately. Alternatively, I would be delighted to provide a credit. The writing is by me, such as it is, unless otherwise stated, and this is the only Beatles related blog I am responsible for.

Comments Blah: Comments are moderated. Any genuine comments are welcome. Due to idiotic spamming, you'll have to press the "Follow" button on the right under "Kenwoodites..." in order to leave a comment. Offensive comments/advertising/trolling/other moronicisms are not welcome, and will be rejected.
Comments are the responsibility of the individual commenter, and commenters' opinions do not necessarily reflect my own. (NB: This blog revels in flagrant trivia. If that's not yer "thing", this won't be yer "thang".)

Correspond via: kenwoodlennon@googlemail.com

Friday 11 December 2009

Kenwood: sunroom - 2006 & 1968.


A ca.2006 photo showing the other end of the sunroom in its modern day incarnation. The current structure is slightly bigger, and certainly more substantial than the sunroom which John had built, presumably sometime in late 1964/early 1965. There doesn't seem to be any record of planning permission for John's sunroom, and it is quite likely that none was ever actually sought.
As we've seen, although the current sunroom occupies roughly the same space as the Lennon-model, it's not the same physical structure. However, the external terrace wall has survived intact:


In John's day, the internal sunroom entrance led directly into the kitchen, and the sunroom itself was probably intended to be an equivalent of the small room off the kitchen at Mendips, where John spent much of his time when at Mimi's.
The Lennon-era kitchen is long gone, of course, and the present sunroom (or garden room as the estate agent would have it) leads to an internal hallway.

8 comments:

  1. I think the John era wall stopped at the corner where the squiggly art sculpture sits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrong! Actually the original sunroom was 8x4, and was build by a garden lodge company in Tadworth. I know because my father built it in 1965. The original plans are being scanned. I will post these when I have finished. Who do I contact?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Great - I'd love to see them. You can contact me via:
    kenwoodlennon@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Ive never been so happy to be wrong! I cant wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 8x4???...naah, it was bigger than that..?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8X4 METRES.
    I have sent a scan to kenwoodlennon. The dimensions as far as my father used are taken from a plan he produced in 1964. I have worked it approximately into metres, therefore 8x4 is correct, including the roof space, that we know was boarded, with one light fitting.

    Thanks

    GT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful information thank you. So one light fixture - that would be the ceiling fixture as seen in the photo of Ringo with a fan?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This absolutely fascinating. I really think that John Lennon was a dude. I think his music was so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.